Friday, January 30, 2009

TGIF

I like Fridays. Fridays mean weekends. Granted, I’m not getting much of a weekend. I work 5:00-15:30 both Saturday and Sunday, meaning I’m getting up at 3:30...yeah, that’s kind of a bummer. At least I’m making money, and I don’t have to go to class.

I actually don’t mind my classes this semester. I like my professors, and all of the classes pertain to my major, so I find them at least somewhat interesting. I’m just getting tired of school. Of course, some of that probably has to do with the fact that I’m no longer planning to pursue a career related to my degree. I figure a B.A. in Psychology will be somewhat useful in just about any field, so I’m going to stick with it, but I don’t want to do something psych related for a career anymore.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I’m going to do with my life. I had it all planned out: I would get my psych degree in 3.5 years, take a semester off, go through a 2-year grad program and get my M.S.W. (basically the terminal degree in social work), and dive in to a career in social work after that. It was a good plan until I actually started looking into M.S.W. programs and realized that grad school didn’t really appeal to me all that much. I watched my foolproof little plan fall apart in front of me, and it freaked me out. At one point I actually considered dropping out of school, because I was so totally unsure of myself.

I’m still going to graduate with my B.A. in December. After that...I don’t really know. I’ve been looking into getting a vet tech degree. From age 3 or so until at least halfway through high school, I wanted to be a vet. I’ve realized now that the fact that some sort of competency in physics and calculus is required pretty much disqualifies that career, not to mention the fact that I don’t really want to spend another 6 years in school. But being a vet tech? I could do that. It’s a little more school, but it would be interesting, and I’d be able to work with animals, which would be awesome. They annoy me a lot less than people do.

The problem with this plan is that I’m not really sure if I’ll end up making enough money to live on. I don’t need much
I have expensive tastes in a lot of things, and I kind of like spending money, but I don’t
need
much to live on. I’m ok with living simply, but I do need to eat...and not being able to eat gluten means that groceries can get expensive. The fact is, I really have no idea what I
want
to do with my life. I’m not really worried about it...I know everything will work out eventually, but I’d like to feel a little less clueless. Ideally, I think I
would
like to be a vet tech, but do other things on the side. The idea of being self-employed appeals to me.

I like art. I now read several webcomics religiously, and I’ve been toying with the idea of starting my own. I have an unfinished story that wasn’t working well as a novel but that would probably translate quite well into comic form. However, I have a problem: while I can draw better than some people, I am not exceptionally talented and I am terribly out of practice. It’s frustrating having images and ideas in my head when I can’t translate them properly onto paper. I’m going to keep practicing, and if things start to improve I might move forward. The same is true with music. I have pages upon pages of lyrics that I’ve written over the years. Granted, most of those pages are full of my high school angst and should probably never see the light of day again (I’m sure they’re happier hiding in dark corners anyway), but some of the songs I’ve written have turned out to be pretty decent, and I’ve actually managed to get some music written for a few of them. The problem here is that, again, while I can sing and play guitar or piano better than some, I’m not as good as I would like to be. Now that I have my MacBook (named the BatMac because it is black and awesome), I might start playing with GarageBand and attempt to put some music up here. I don’t see comic creation or music ever being a source of income for me, but it could be fun to try.

I like writing, and I’ve been told I’m pretty good at it (this post doesn’t necessarily reflect that skill, I know). If I could write and make money in the process, that would be fantastic. I just don’t want to be the sort of author who gets her work published when it maybe should never have been released to the general public. I see a lot of worthless prose in bookstores, and I don’t want to add to that mess. (Take, for example,
. I’ve read all of the books, and I found them amusing...but I will also be the first to say that they are poorly written and that the supporting characters are the only reasons I read all four books. Bella is easily the flattest, most obnoxious fictional character I have ever encountered. If I ever write such a character into existence, someone PLEASE come and slap me.) I also like photography (just in case you didn’t figure that out from the multiple
pages here), and if I really focused on developing that skill (and acquired a little more business finesse) I could probably make money from that. I’m just not sure how to turn the activities I love as casual hobbies into profitable hobbies.

So the general conclusion of the week is this: growing up isn’t nearly as fun as it looked when I was 5 and running around on the playground.

No comments: